You cannot select more than 25 topics Topics must start with a letter or number, can include dashes ('-') and can be up to 35 characters long.
|19033a2c4e||4 weeks ago|
|README.md||4 weeks ago|
Awesome Decentralized Web
A curated list about the decentralized technologies and tools to develop decentralized applications.
Thanks to the Decentralized Web Summit for the inspiration.
Please do not submit PR with pseudo currencies, cryptocoins, NFTs, DAOs and finance related projects.
Protocols and Technologies
Tools for building a decentralized web.
- AT Protocol - AT Protocol (Authenticated Transfer Protocol)
- ForgeFed - a decentralized federation protocol provides a server to server API for pull request, forking and subscription.
- Matrix - an open standard for decentralised persistent communication over IP. Matrix wants to connect together all the various communication services and make them interoperate.
- Nostr - A decentralized social network with a chance of working. A simple, open protocol that enables a truly censorship-resistant and global social network.
- Scuttlebutt - a decent(ralised), offline-friendly secure gossip protocol.
- BitTorrent - protocol for distributed file sharing.
- Earthstar - An offline-first, distributed, syncable, embedded document database for use in p2p software.
- Hypercore Protocol - a fast, scalable, and secure peer-to-peer protocol for everyone (evoution of the Dat Protocol)
- Holochain - a peer-to-peer protocol for data sharing and integrity, backed by authoritative hashchains for data provenance.
- IPFS - or InterPlanetary File System, is a distributed file storage system that aims to replace HTTP.
- ActivityPub - open, decentralized social networking protocol based on Pump.io's ActivityPump protocol.
- Blockstack - Blockstack is a new fully decentralized internet that comes with a full stack of open-source developer tools to build and bootstrap decentralized applications and protocol ecosystems.
- libdweb - a community effort to implement experimental APIs enabling dweb protocols in Firefox.
- Mysterium Network - open sourced network allowing anyone to rent their unused Network traffic, while providing a secure connection for those in need.
- remoteStorage - An open protocol for decoupling data from apps.
- Solid - a proposed set of conventions and tools for building decentralized social applications based on Linked Data principles.
- WebRTC - W3C drafted standard for browser-to-browser data transfer.
Things built with decentralized protocols and technologies.
- Backfeed - a technology to enable decentralized and user-owned governance and reputation management for a community. Discontinued!
- bitnation.co - the World’s First Virtual Nation – A Blockchain Jurisdiction.
- git-ssb - Decentralized git repo hosting and issue tracking on secure-scuttlebutt.
- PeerPad - a realtime P2P collaborative editing tool, powered by IPFS and CRDTs.
- Radicle - secure peer-to-peer code collaboration without intermediaries.
- Pijul - Pijul is a free and open source (GPL2) distributed version control system.
- Darcs - free and open source X-platform VCS system.
- BitMessage - anonymous encrypted message broadcasting.
- Berty - anonymous, secure, peer-to-peer protocol that doesn't need an internet connection to function.
- disaster.radio - a disaster-resilient communications network powered by the sun.
- LevelNews - a leftist news aggregator designed for an open web, and dedicated to journalism without censorship.
- LibreMesh - a modular framework for creating OpenWrt/LEDE-based firmwares for wireless mesh nodes.
- Mobilizon - a federated tool that helps you find, create and organise events.
- Retroshare - establish encrypted connections between you and your friends to create a network of computers, and provides various distributed services: forums, channels, chat, mail
- Ricochet - completely anonymous and potentially metadata-free chat Discontinued!
- Librem - Librem One is a growing bundle of ethical services.
- Jami - Distributed p2p communication(text, voice and video) free and open-source software.
- BigchainDB - a scalable database that layers blockchain technology over decentralized data.
- Dat Base - future-friendly apps for your research data pipeline.
- IPDB - a federated database network built on BigchainDB and IPFS. It is maintained by a network of caretakers around the world, at least half of which are nonprofits.
- OrbitDB - p2p database engine on top of IPFS.
- AvionDB - mongodb-like database on top of OrbitDB.
Data Storage and Sharing
- Arweave - A Protocol for Economically SustainableInformation Permanence.
- CacheP2P - a distributed caching platform. Discontinued!
- Cryptosphere - an open-source P2P web application platform for decentralized, privacy-preserving software. Discontinued!
- instant.io - streaming file transfer over WebTorrent.
- m-ld - Library enabling consistent, zero latency read and write of shared information, using RDF (JSON-LD) and CRDTs.
- OnionShare - hosts the selected files as a hidden service on the user's computer
- ORC - the Onion Router Cloud, a distributed, anonymous, object storage platform owned and operated by all of us. Discontinued!
- Peergos - end-to-end encrypted, peer-to-peer file storage, sharing and communication network.
- Perkeep - set of open source formats, protocols, and software for modeling, storing, searching, sharing and synchronizing data.
- Rotonde - commonly agreed upon specifications of a JSON object shared between members of the network.
- Tahoe-LAFS - a private, encrypted file storage system that decentralizes data across multiple servers.
- Tribler - Privacy enhanced BitTorrent client with P2P content discovery.
- Sia - a decentralized private cloud.
- Storj - a blockchain-based, end-to-end encrypted, distributed object storage.
- Swarm - a distributed storage platform and content distribution service of the ethereum stack.
- WebTorrent - an in-browser torrenting that works without requiring users to install anything extra.
- Wikipediap2p - a p2p version of wikipedia. Discontinued!
- Bit451 - decentralized / distributed anonymous p2p media network. YouTube meets BitTorrent meets Bitcoin. Discontinued!
- DTube - decentralized video platform, built on top of the STEEM Blockchain and the IPFS peer-to-peer network.
- ferment - Peer-to-peer audio publishing and streaming application.
- Mediachain - a media library built on IPFS that makes it easy to publish, track, and discover creative work.
- Mediagoblin - a free software media publishing platform alternative to Flickr, YouTube, SoundCloud.
- PeerTube - Decentralized federated video streaming platform using P2P, ActivityPub and WebTorrent.
- Funkwhale - Funkwhale is a community-driven project that lets you listen and share music and audio within a decentralized, open network.
Microblogging and Social Network
- Dat Medium - Dat Medium is markdown blog system for Beaker inspired by Medium. Discontinued!
- diaspora* - decentralized and federated social media platform.
- Friendica - decentralized and federated social media platform.
- Hubzilla - decentralized and federated social media platform.
- Mastodon - decentralized alternative to twitter, with servers federation.
- Patchwork - a decentralized messaging and sharing app built on top of Secure Scuttlebutt.
- Manyverse - An iOS and Android mobile app for the decentralized messaging and sharing app built on top of Secure Scuttlebutt
- Pleroma - a federated social networking platform.
- Socialhome - decentralized and federated profile builder with social networking features.
- Tahrir - looks and feels like twitter but encrypted and anonymized and decentralized and only you hold the keys. Discontinued!
- trsst - looks and feels like twitter but encrypted and anonymized and decentralized and only you hold the keys. Discontinued!
- Twister - a fully decentralized P2P microblogging platform leveraging the free software implementations of Bitcoin and BitTorrent protocols.
- Jolocom - a decentralised digital identity for everyone.
- magic-wormhole - get things from one computer to another, safely.
- OpenTimeStamps - OpenTimestamps aims to be a standard format for blockchain timestamping.
- StrongLink - a searchable, syncable, content-addressable notetaking system Discontinued!
- Dark Crystal - set of protocols, libraries, techniques and guidelines for secure management of sensitive data such as cryptographic keys.
- Agregore - A minimal web browser for the distributed web. Supports IPFS, Hypercore Protocol + more.
- Beaker - Beaker is a peer-to-peer Web browser, made for users to run applications independently of hosts.
- Cactus Comments - Cactus Comments is a federated comment system for the open web built on Matrix.
- Freenet- a network aimed at activists and people living in repressive regimes. It uses a web of trust in high security mode, which allows users on the network to be effectively undetectable.
- GNUnet - GNUnet is a new network protocol stack for building secure, distributed, and privacy-preserving applications. With strong roots in academic research, our goal is to replace the old insecure Internet protocol stack.
- Handshake - decentralized certificate authority and naming.
- I2P - anonymous network with hidden services.
- IPWB - an interplanetary wayback machine.
- Loki - Loki creates privacy tools that enable untraceable, secure transactions and anonymous communication.
- MaidSafe - a soon-to-be-released decentralized internet and app infrastructure which rewards users for participating in the network.
- Namecoin - a replacement for the existing domain name system that registers identities on a blockchain, rather than a centralized DNS authority.
- Onename - domain registar for Blockstack.
- OpenBazaar - marketplace, with store fronts and moderators.
- Samizdat - Samizdat is a platform for the self-hosted, peer-to-peer, cryptographically-secured internet. Discontinued!
- Shift - Decentralized hosting infrastructure for dApps.
- Steemit - blogging and social networking website on top of a blockchain database.
- Tor - anonymous network proxy.
- yacy - Distributed Peer-to-Peer Web Search Engine and Intranet Search Appliance.
- ZeroNet - a peer-to-peer web built on the Bitcoin cryptography for addressing, and identity and Namecoin for .bit domains.
- ArcBlock - a decentralized platform to build, run and deploy DApps, blockchains and websites on any infrastructure with integrated decentralized identity and multi-chain support.
Other Related Lists
- Awesome-decentralized-id - Resources for creating a Decentralized, Vendor Agnostic, Self Sovereign Identity System for people organizations and things.